Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Big Win For the Constitution

While the Supreme Court yesterday made the bizzare ruling that child molesters do not warrant the death penalty, today they actually got one right. In the Heller decision, the Court actually used the Constitution to make a ruling. I know, I know, that's their job-but these days, it seems like they're using international law, feelings, public opinion, and existential philosophy to make decisions more than the fundamental body of law that binds together this Union.

Yes, the Court strangely read the Second Amendment and determined that it means what it says-that the American citizen has the right to own and keep a gun. Miracle of miracles, and this one wasn't even the responsibility of the Obamessiah-who once favored a complete gun ban, then didn't, then threw a staffer under the bus when it became inconvenient, then got caught in a lie about it. Then the press forgot about it. Tell me that surprises you-cause that'll surprise me.

Of course, for the Court to be consistent, they'd probably have to declare that everyone own a gun, whether or not they wanted to, and paid for by the federal government. But I'll take my victories where I can get them, you know? In a world where all I have to cling to is my bitterness, my gun and my Bible, what else can I ask for?

No comments: