Wednesday, November 4, 2015

A Note on The Election

Surely this will not go unnoticed, but I saw the map on the CL website and did some research.

Adams
Clay
Copiah
Issaquena
Jasper
Jeff Davis
Kemper
Pike
Quitman
Sharkey
Tallahatchie 
Yazoo 
Leake
Neshoba 
Panola 

All these counties were won by Bryant.  Some by fairly large margins.

What do these have in common?  They are majority African-American (or in the case of the last three, have no majority race).  I may have missed some more in my haphazard research.

I know that turnout was probably down due to a weak Democrat candidate.  I also read the map as Noxubee County, home of our old friend Ike Brown, being the only county in the eastern 2/3 of the state to go Democrat (well done, Ike!).  But, possibly, could it be that the residents of these counties voted for...Low taxes?  An environment that allows for job creation?  *Gasp*...against expanding government?  

I might be the only one pondering this.  I'm sure there will be a lot of scholarly articles written about it.  Or, the CL map could be wrong.  Or ignored.  Or whatever.  All of those are possibilities.  

The map is found...here.

No comments: