Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The 11th Commandment

Ronald Reagan (May Peace Be Upon Him) once said that the 11th commandment was, "Thou shalt not speak ill of a fellow Republican." It served him well-one of his harshest critics in the 1980 primaries was George H. W. Bush, who later became his Vice-President and close ally.

So it boggled the mind when Senator Cochran told the Sun Herald that Senator McCain had grabbed a Nicaraguan thug-I mean, associate of dictator Daniel Ortega-and tossed him around during a diplomatic mission in 1987.

(My first thought was, since I'm very familiar with Senator McCain's disability, does this pass the smell test? After all, Senator McCain can only raise his arms so far due to his torture in Viet Nam-it's why he 'reaches out' to the crowd instead of waving to them traditionally.)

Really, is this the kind of thing that we need during the general election? I don't know what the purpose was-I know Senator Cochran opposed Senator McCain in the primaries. Maybe the purpose was to show that he'll stand up to a band of murderers, and has fight in him. I suppose this is a minor blip, at best-it's pretty well known McCain has a temper. I just don't understand the logic of it, is all.

No comments: