Thursday, June 13, 2019

You're Not Pro Life Unless You're Pro Big Government or Something

I see this statement a lot (or something like it). I have kind of pondered it over the last few weeks. This is mostly because it's the left's new favorite talking point to shame you into giving them whatever they want, namely expanding the welfare state.

Yeah, I'm pro-life. That doesn't mean that I love the border situation. I'm so pro-life that I don't want them killed, which I think the authors intimate all pro-life people want, though I do want an orderly and lawful immigration system that discourages the risky proposition of travelling clandestinely to the southern border from all points south using less than savory means or people. That's a pro-life position-that the law should not be so haphazardly enforced that they encourage people to risk their life in order to break them.

I'm pro-life. That means that I want an efficient, humane Department of Human Services in my state that doesn't have judges sign blank documents so that kids could be illegally taken from their parents. This is a pro-life position-that the state should not have unlimited power to simply take children from their parents. The corruption of the Kentucky Health and Family Services people did that in the above link; increasing their budget (or that of their counterpart in Mississippi) wouldn't help the issue, simply because they are abusing their power.

(An aside-in a country with a less-government worshiping press, the Kentucky story would have led the front page in every widely read paper the country-and the Clarion-Ledger too-and would have been a top story on the TV news. But alas, I had to learn about it through other means).

I'm pro-life. That means I think that your wacky ideas about vaccines being unhealthy is stupid.  I don't care if you're a hot actress from the 90s or 00's or the son of one of America's leading political families. I don't want them within a mile of a healthy child.

Yeah I'm pro-life. I donate to Crisis Pregnancy Centers in order to help women avoid the trauma of an abortion. I've donated clothing and other items to charity specifically to clothe them. I've encouraged people to adopt for years, after the example of my own family, which has 4 adopted members. Your snarky tweet or shaming article isn't going to make me change any of that behavior.

It's an old talking point on the left-"You only care about children til they're born!" But for the most part it isn't true. If it was true, I guess the opposite is true of the left-you guys only care about people on election day, since that's the only time some of them see you.


No comments: